Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Music Review #14:
Clannad
Dúlamán
1976
Gael Linn








Irish Folk was undoubtedly my favorite music genre in my early childhood. It was responsible for sending me on a very expansive journey across the wide variety of music Earth had in store. I rarely listen to music from Ireland these days, usually enjoying more time delving into those genres that simply need more time to digest (like prog), but I do find myself occasionally gravitating back to my roots. When I heard of Clannad, I was thrilled to see two of my favorite genres forge together in an awesome 70's culmination, and even played by a group of skilled musicians. Dúlamán is the third album in Clannad's discography, and is completely what I expected.

Obviously because these individuals are Irish (with a touch of arts-y), they will sing in Irish Gaelic, one of my favorite languages ever forged by mankind. Not to mention the language is best when sung, and sung by indigenous peoples to the country of Ireland. All throughout the Irish spirit of fun and playfulness never ceases. I'll admit, Irish are best at drinking songs, which is most prudent seeing as they can bring up such a feeling of comradery and fraternity in a setting of happiness which can be shown clearly in their more stylistic interpretation. Clannad uses their conjoined vocal powers (sounds like a superpower), as well as Irish folk constants like the flute and the harp to sweep you across the sea to the rocky shores of County Donegal to experience the magic. Most everything on the album is pure, heartfelt, and wonderful. Even I, a seasoned veteran of the Irish Folk genre was surprised and impressed by these bunch. Highly recommended. Can't wait to see what else is in store.


© 2015 - The Frying Pan & Thatcher 
Originally written for Prog Archives on 11/17/2015.
Visit the site at www.progarchives.com

No comments:

Post a Comment