Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Music Review #65:
Pink Floyd
Works (Compilation)
1983
Capitol Records







Released after the devastating sales of The Final Cut, this little compilation is pretty strange. It isn't like many other compilations I've seen, mostly because it has some songs that I wouldn't expect on an official gathering of songs. Probably one of the very few compilations that includes tracks (or in this case a single track) from Obscured by Clouds (1972). In fact, this includes content from 1967 to 1973. The main point of the album was to bring some more money subsequent to 1979's The Wall (or rather the movie that came out in 1982, a year before this was released). Even then, it's goals weren't exactly accomplished. The compilation got much deserved criticism for having not the great 'hit' tracks from Dark Side of the Moon and the other albums.

As for the tracks themselves, well, I honestly think they chose some pretty bad ones. I mean, some good songs like 'One of These Days', 'Brain Damage/Eclipse' are some of my top choices, but as for the others, it's just pretty bad. 'Fearless' is the second Meddle choice, which is not one of my favorites from the album itself, and plain bad to put such a failed single such as it on it as well. 'Arnold Layne' and 'See Emily Play' were early singles by the band, released prior on both Relics and The Early Singles, so you don't really need it for that. It includes the most excruciating symphony of animal noises from Ummagumma, 'Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave Grooving with a Pict', which is probably the last thing I'd pick from the album. Even the one song they chose from Obscured by Clouds, my favorite album, was terribly disappointing. 'Free Four' was in fact one of my least favorite songs from the entire album (I have stated so before.) 'Set the Controls For The Heart Of The Sun' is also not one of my favorites from A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)I suppose the only reason you'd need to purchase this would be to get the unreleased demo of the song 'Embryo', but even then the cons outweigh the pros by a ton.

So overall, don't get this. It will be a waste of your money, and you'd be much better off getting something along the lines of Shine On or Oh By The Way... I would recommend if you are searching for the entire released discography. In that case, good luck on your incredibly expensive journey!

2016 - The Frying Pan & Thatcher 
Originally written for Prog Archives on 12/24/2014.
Visit the site at www.progarchives.com

No comments:

Post a Comment