Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Music Review #50:
Queensrÿche
Take Cover
2007
Rhino Entertainment








Some reviews of this kind of took me by surprise.

From what I've listened to from QUEENSRYCHE, I've never extremely enjoyed their sound. Everybody knows of course that I'm not a huge fan of progressive metal, so it's obvious that there are many bands of the genre that I don't like very much. QUEENSRYCHE sadly does fall into this category. But it is not a total hate. It is true that they have mixed and matched several different genres including traditional, alternative, and just simple hard rock. I don't actually mind them doing that. Of course there are people who absolutely despise bands when they do this, and in a way that's the case for this album. But me, I actually love this cover album.

"TAKE COVER" includes songs that range from PINK FLOYD, PETER GABRIEL, and other similarly influential progressive artists (among them there are some more obscure artists as well). I do love the covers they put of from these prog giants though. I especially (of course) liked their cover of PINK FLOYD's 'Welcome to the Machine', because, as a song that is devoid of drumming, listening to it as a metal song was really interesting (in a good way of course.) Peter has never been an artist I've particularly enjoyed, but QR covered him well as well. Of course the other covers are fantastic, and are totally worth listening to.

Overall, I would absolutely give this cover album a listen. Gets a thumbs up from me!


2016 - The Frying Pan & Thatcher 
Originally written for Metal Music Archives on 11/12/2014.
Visit the site at www.metalmusicarchives.com

No comments:

Post a Comment