Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Single Review #2:
Pink Floyd
One Slip
1987
From A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)








As I've said before, 1987's A Momentary Lapse of Reason was my favorite of the Pink Floyd catalog. Everything about it I liked, from the excellent guitar-work and vocals from Gilmour, Nick Mason's exquisite drumming skills, among other things. 'One Slip' is no exception.

This song uses things like electronic clocks (that perhaps may be a reference the Dark Side of the Moon's 'Time' back in '73), to it's advantage in an ambient sense. With a slow opening, the song quickly revs up into a quick-riffing beast. Some electric guitar and fantastic keyboard work is thrown in at the right times, and the drums are nice and pounding. The one thing that hooked me in the first place was David Gilmour's beautiful lyric-work as well as his strong vocals. Sure, it may a bit more commercial than Waters' works, but that's just how Gilmour works, and we have to accept that. On the flipside we have a live-cross of 'Terminal Frost' and 'Dogs of War', the latter being my favorite from the album next to of course this one. I love both of these songs, the instrumental of 'Terminal Frost' being played well and 'Dogs of War' being a high live highlight, in my opinion, of the band's history.

This is a definite single for the ages. I love this song, and I think any modest-minded Floyd fan would as well. if you've listened to it already, give 'One Slip' another chance. You might find yourself liking it.


© 2016 - The Frying Pan & Thatcher 
Originally written for Prog Archives on 10/12/2014.
Visit the site at www.progarchives.com

No comments:

Post a Comment